- Parse: Noun: Indeclinable letter
- First letter of the Greek alphabet (ἄλφα) and used for "first."
- As a prefix it denotes "privation" or "negative"
α added before a consonant:
δῆλος = clear, revealed
ἄδηλος = obscure, hidden
α added before a vowel:
ἀριθμητός = numbered
ἀναρίθμητος = without number, numberless
- Sometimes as a prefix (ἀ- or ἁ-) denotes "augmentation" and "union"
- As a number: α' = one; α = 1000
- Note: On a Greek polytonic keyboard, hit the A-key to print this letter; for accented letters hit the accent key before hitting the A-key
- Parse: Interjection
- Meaning: ah, alas!